On Wednesday, May 21st, 2014 at 1:58PM, Manhasset-Lakeville Fire Department Companies 3 and 4 were dispatched to 1 Overlook Avenue in Great Neck Plaza for an odor of smoke in the building. Deputy Chiefs Pisani (8702) and Candan (8704) both responded and were advised that a caller on the third floor was reporting that they smelt smoke and that work was being performed in the building. While responding, the dispatcher gave the Chiefs additional information that FireCom had received a call reporting smoke coming from an apartment on the second floor.
Deputy Chief Pisani (8702) arrived on scene and went into the apartment building to investigate. He was met with smoke on the second floor hallway and located and entered the apartment in question. Once inside the vacant apartment, Deputy Chief Pisani located a fire burning within the walls and recommended to Deputy Chief Candan (8704) that a working fire be transmitted. The transmission of the “Signal 10” working fire added Manhasset-Lakeville Company #5 and the Ambulance Unit to the initial assignment, as well as the Great Neck Alert Fire Company for a F.A.S.T. (Firefighter Assist and Search Team).
Engine 8735 was the first piece of apparatus to arrive on the scene and hooked-up to a hydrant and immediately stretched a 1 ¾” hose line to the second floor. Ladder 8743 was the next rig to arrive and sent members to the fire apartment and floor above to open up the walls and check for extension. The crew from Rescue 8730 also performed searches and opened up the walls in the adjoining apartment and the floor below. The crews from Engine 8758 and Tower Ladder 8744 vented the bulkhead, roof and hallways which had elevated levels of carbon monoxide. All searches throughout the building were negative and there was minimal extension outside of the fire apartment.